Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Reflections

Brad and I decided to not travel this holiday season. During this is the time, our extended Coastie families become our immediate family around the dinner table. That's not to say that they replace our beloved blood relatives, but the smiles, laughs, and tongue-in-cheek jokes are reminiscent of our relatives' jabs from across the dinner table.

Here on the Rock, a small group of us put together a small progressive potluck dinner. For each course-- appetizers, main meal, desserts, and after dinner drinks-- we assigned a host and each of us brought a plate to each house, each course. With our varied backgrounds, we attempted to introduce each other to our family's traditions, some of which reflected our geographic homes: meat stuffing with Portuguese sausage, southern style green bean casserole, etc.

At each home, surrounded by food and friendly faces, our "family" gave thanks for the simple joys within our lives. Personally, as we trekked across the ice-laced gravel roads through our neighborhood and cul de sac, I breathed fresh air and in my own personal way, reflected upon how great my life is and gave thanks for my family's health, my amazing marriage, our new home, and for all those simple pleasures I take for granted. Further, I gave thanks for this new family of mine: the ones who helped me endure a difficult, long patrol and continuously made me smile as I explored our new Alaskan home.

Above all, I am thankful for this special time in my life. As Brad loves to boast: they pay us to live here. We are so lucky.

5 comments:

Tidden Tales said...

You have so much to be thankful for I am so glad that you got to spend it around people that you enjoy :) Happy Thanksgiving

Becca and Jason said...

It was such a wonderful Thanksgiving! We were so happy to have new members of our Kodiak family around the table!!! *muah*
Becca

Mara said...

Came across your blog when researching Kodiak. There is a coast guard job I want to apply for (im a civilian for the Air force right now) Would you mind if I asked you a few questions? I would so appreciate it maramareli@aol.com
thank you

Anonymous said...

Glad you all had a good Thanksgiving. We went to Myrtle Beach, only to find out that it snowed there two days after we left!

Mom said...

Sniff:( My heart feels good, knowing that you were able to have a Wonderful Thanksgiving with Brad and your Kodiak Family:) Love you so much! Mom