Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Famous Wall Drug

In Minnesota, the billboards for Wall Drug begin. Similar into the South of the Border signs along the I-95 corridor, the signs for this landmark are just as cheesy. From the dinos out back to the wares you can purchase, including 5 cent coffee, these boards were a highlight throughout South Dakota. The main road through town is lined with picturesque ranch style homes, with big signs indicating your next turn toward a 5 cent cup of coffee. As you park with other tourists, you enter a main street area that is lined with saloon like shingles for Black Hills Gold Jewelry Store, Saloon and Bar, and of course, Wall Drug. With entrances marked with numbers, you can enter the retail, the convenience store, or the mall area, among others. We strolled through the gift shop, where Brad saw a sign for a free donut and coffee for veterans. Excited about his free donut, we made our way through the mall area, trying on cowboy hats and examining the intricate design of the cowboy boots. Forlornly, Brad sat atop the famous Jackolope for a picture (no, he had no idea it was there—this whole store was unbeknownst to him).

Donut in hand, we made our way back to our car, briefly checking the selection at the Black Hills Jewelry store. This iconic tourist trap was fun and cheesy; it was just the break we needed.








3 comments:

Flo said...

I just turned to Brian and said "You know that's a big Jackalope when it makes Brad look tiny."

He said it would make a perfect comment <3 Love you guys, I'm glad you're having SO much fun on your trip!

C Anderson said...

I think I just woke up half the lodge I laughed so fricking hard. Love you both for making such a cmt. Thanks for the laugh.

Becca and Jason said...

Duuuude, you stole my pictures! Seriously - our jackalope angles might have been a little different, but, otherwise, it's like we stood in the same places!

I'm bummed that I actually paid for my donut, though....