Saturday, March 28, 2009

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb?

Mother Nature does not adhere to her nursery rhymes in Alaska. Last night, I boarded the Era flight in Anchorage, bound for Kodiak. We de-iced, and as we lifted off, people who had been stranded-- either in the lower 48, in Anchorage, or both-- clapped. Our normal 1:10 flight took almost 90 minutes. As my fellow passengers and I peered out the window, most of commented on how we had no idea where we were. The islands and ranges passing below us where not the usual route home. When I landed, a fellow coastie wife picked me up and ask, "So, did you see it?" "See what?" I asked. "Oh, the volcano blew again at 7:30 PM. Heh. We lifted off at 7:22 PM.

Volcanoes, blizzards, avalanches, and flooding aside, it is great to be home in Kodiak. The snow in the back yard is frozen solid, so Tok and I can walk on top of it as we play. Tok's captions:

Ok. I sat. Now put down the camera and throw the ball.

Special delivery!



Ooooh, what's down here?
Yay! Snow!
I got it!

No comments: