Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Seattle: My dose of urban chic

This past Sunday, I enjoyed a return to urban life. I strolled through Pike's Market, where I bought plums and flowers. After placing the flowers in a vase back at my hotel, I made my way to the Seattle Art Museum. With the free visitor's pass from the hotel, I took the escalators to the top floor and meandered around the visiting exhibit, Life Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness. It features the works of Paul Revere, Thomas Eakins and Winslow Homer, covering paintings, prints, photographs and decorative arts.

Although the patriotic exhibit was my highlight, I enjoyed a smaller show featuring George de Forest Brush. His Indian paintings displayed Crow, Shoshone and Arapahoe as they hunted and plucked cranes and flamingos. The striking white and pink stood out against the vivid green and brown mangrove backdrops. And I had to giggle that I saw flamingos on the day that is our wedding anniversary.


The gallery's regular works featured an amazing porcelain room that Uncle George would have LOVED, and some amazing paintings. Among them: the Triumph of Neptune, Lighthouse at Camden, and Mt. Rainier.


The month of March is Dine Around Seattle, where you can get a three course dinner for $30 at select restaurants. My team and I ate at FlyingFish, and we feasted on calamari, mahi mahi, lamb, and hot pots. The vibe was great and the portions perfect.

No comments: